Jeff B's blog on whole brain learning has been really helpful. This year one of the things I am going to try is the Yada Noise Control Scale. I am slightly modifying his scale to the following categories:
- Rock Concert - out of control, way too loud!
- Recess - loud, excited voices
- Conversation - normal voices
- Spy Talk - only the person next to you should hear you
- Pharaoh's Tomb - not a peep! (Egypt is a huge part of their social studies unit)
I am making a display with the following handout, which will be laminated and posted vertically as one long banner next to my chalk board. When I am done, will post a picture of it.
With my classes, we will practice what these different levels sound like so they understand what is expected when we calibrate our noise levels.
Some other methods I am going to incorporate are the rules, class-yes, & scoreboard.
If you have used any of these methods, would love to hear from you!